"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart,and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
It seems like a new social network pops up every few months. It's hard to keep up with the latest text or video messaging app. We can get so caught up, that we start to confuse the number of followers, views or likes we have with who our actual friends are. Don't get me wrong, technology has given us a fun and easy way to stay connected to those we care about, but the sweetest friendships still happen offline.
Friendships are what's gotten me through a lot of tough times. Having those special people I know I can always count on gives me peace. When things get super busy here at loved+blessed®, it is my friends who encourage me and selflessly give their time and energy to help.
They mean so much to me and I couldn't run loved+blessed® without them. So this month, I want to help you celebrate a friendship that means a lot to you.
Here are 10 ideas to help you encourage a friend:
- Have a friend that's having a hard time juggling work and family? GIVE HER A NIGHT OFF FROM KITCHEN DUTY and drop off a lasagna or casserole.
- Have a friend that lives far away? Keep in touch by sending them a box of pre-addressed and stamped stationary. Buy a box of cards and split them up. Give half to your friend and keep half for yourself. Keep in touch the old fashioned way - WRITE ONE LETTER TO EACH OTHER A MONTH. There is just something special about receiving a letter in the mail. A handwritten letter can be a keepsake forever.
- Send them a BLESSINGS BOX to help them create their own scrapbook to reflect on how blessed they truly are.
- Encourage a co-worker by leaving a surprise STICKY NOTE with a positive message on their desk, computer monitor or on the next blank page of the notebook they use every day.
- Surprise a friend by mailing them a GIFT CARD FOR GROCERIES or gas.
- Make them an ENCOURAGEMENT JAR that they can pull from any time they need a pick-me-up. Recycle a glass jar or even a box, by filling it with notes of encouragement and scriptures on little slips of paper.
- Read an inspiring book lately? Write an encouraging note inside and pass it along to a friend. For a free sticker to help you pass on books, check out PASS HOPE ON.
- Text them A SCRIPTURE A DAY for a week and include a picture that will make them smile.
- Make a list of 5 people you consider friends that you haven't actually talked to in 6 months and schedule a time to CALL THEM JUST TO SAY HI.
- Send them a FRIENDSHIP BRACELET as a daily reminder that someone cares.
Here are some scriptures for reflection:
As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend. Proverbs 27:17
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. Proverbs 17:17
There are friends who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24
Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy. Proverbs 27:6
A sweet friendship refreshes the soul. Proverbs 27:9
Celebrate your friends this month! As always, my hope is that by doing this, you'll not only encourage them, but you'll be reminded that you have people who care about you!